Thursday, April 27, 2017

T-Swift Book Tag!


A few months back I was looking for a Book Tag and found this awesome Taylor Swift one on Another Blog. It's taken me awhile but I've decided to do it!

The Taylor Swift Book Tag!



1. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

(Pick a book or series that you were pretty sure you were in love with, but then wanted to break up with)





The Raven Boys was beautifully written and intriguing. The plot was solid, the characters were great, and there were some incredible friendships. I was pretty sure I loved it. 

However, I decided to never read the series again when an awesome character who was Catholic, a boxer, and one of the most aggressive, protective people you'll ever meet, ended up being gay. It was so out of character. Especially because his "significant other" was in love with a girl for the first three books. I was so upset. Ronan wasn't. He wouldn't. It would not have happened. That twist was obviously just the Writer deciding to go with a popular trend. It makes me mad.

2. Red
(pick a book with a RED cover)


War is coming...


The Shadow Throne by Jennifer Neilson. This book is the last of three so I can't say too much about it without giving anything away. Just go read the Ascendants Trilogy! The characters are well done, the plot is good, and there are some great friendships/romances. Remember, it is Middle Grade so it could have been a little more mature/serious, but ya' know. It's still a good series though! 8-)

3. The Best Day
(pick a book that makes you feel nostalgic)

I'm not sure if this means the book itself makes you feel nostalgic, or whether it's a book that makes you feel nostalgic because it means something to you personally. 

If it's the first option then I would go with The Penderwicks In Spring, which made me feel both very nostalgic and very emotional. Wow. Poor Batty. Poor Ben. Poor Jeffrey. Poor Mr. Penderwick. Poor everyone.

All The Sads!

The other option is probably Winnie The Pooh. (The originals, obviously.) Pooh brings back good memories an a warm achy feeling in my chest. I love the stories and the characters. Even if it's a bad day Pooh can make me feel better. 


Winnie the Pooh has a nostalgia all it's own. It leaves you with the same achy feeling you get after watching Pixar's Inside Out. You rediscover your childhood and then you have to let go of it again. It's sad, but not in a bad way. And it makes you remember important things and reconnect with that childlike wonder and excitement.

4. Love Story

(pick a book with forbidden love)

I don't know if Jane Eyre is necessarily forbidden but it's all that came to mind. I don't read too much romance. Usually because it's dull.


Jane is a young governess in the 1800's who tutors a little girl, Adele, in the country. She falls in love with Adele's guardian, Mr. Rochester and he in turn falls for her. This story has a Forbidden Love angle because Jane had no social standing and worth, whereas Rochester had very high social standing and is a well-known and respected. In that time frame such a thing was strongly frowned upon in disapproval. Their relationship and potential marriage goes against custom, code, and tradition. Besides that, there is Rochester's secret...

5. I Knew You Were Trouble

(pick a book with a bad character you couldn’t help but love)

D. Grayman, Katsura Hoshino

Tyki Mikk

"My Black and White selves - the real fun lies in having both."


Uuuungggggggg. My relationship with this character is "Tyki, Why?" and Tyki is like "TYKI EVIL."

Seriously though. Tyki is a horrible person. I should hate him. I do hate him. But I also I like him. I don't know why I like him. He does terrible things and enjoys them. And I'm just over there, "Why aren't you good? You could be good, if you just gave up your dark side."

Maybe he'll have a giant character arc. The series isn't over yet.

6. Innocent

(pick a book that someone ruined the ending for.)




My sister's are really good about not spoiling book endings. 8-) Sometimes they'll spoil TV shows or movies but with books my family is tight-lipped. The end of Oblivion (the last book of the Gatekeeper series) was spoiled through my own fault. I had a bad feeling about that stupid book, especially in regard to some of my favorite characters, so I asked my sister to please tell me what happened. And my feelings were correct. I'm not reading that book for a while. A long while.


7. Everything Has Changed

(pick a character from a book who goes through extensive character development)

Extensive, hm? Extensive.

Xerxes Break from the Pandora Hearts series.*

"No matter how you suffer, you must go on living anyway."


*Yes, it's a manga. A manga I need to review.

Xerxes Break is one of those manga characters that blew me away. He was such an odd, untrustworthy person at the beginning. I didn't like him. But as I continued to read the series, Break's character arc got me good. He turned into one of my favorite characters. His development was intense, emotional, and beautifully done.

I can't finish this question without taking time for Paul Grey too. Paul Grey from The Last Crescendo goes through an incredible arc. He comes from the lowest of the low, sunk in depression and hatred, and slowly comes back to life and... God. It's like, wow Paul. Look at all the good that is in you. You're so, heroically good. I love that about The Last Crescendo. I love that about Paul. His personal growth as a character, and his growth in regard to religion and Catholicism are both beautiful, realistic, and pure. If you're looking for a good "Christian Fiction" book, Owen Francis Dudley writes fantastic ones. They're all about a Catholic Monk named brother Anselm and the different people he meets and helps.

8. You Belong With Me

(pick your most anticipated book release)

Book Five.

I need this book so badly! I own the first four books and have been desperately waiting for a new one to come out for ages. Really. Book four came on in 2010! And here we are seven years later, Finally getting another book!

Don't be that Writer. 😩

I mean, Megan Whalen Turner is great but geeze. That's a long wait.

The Queen's Thief series is my absolute favorite fantasy series ever. I love how Turner handles character development and growth, and I LOVE her third book! Besides the great stories and individual arcs of characters and plots, Eugenides is the most epic little thief you'll ever read about so....

I NEED BOOK FIVE!

I've pre-ordered but I have fears about betrayal. Please don't betray me Megan! Don't do it!

9. Forever and Always

(pick your favorite book couple)

I don't read romances! 8-( Up there at the top is a book couple I can't give names to without revealing a spoiler, but it's from the Attolia series. Besides that one, my favorite couple is probably Ann and Paul from The Last Crescendo,

BONUS QUESTIONS! (Added by Bella)

10. Never Grow Up
(A book you read when you're feeling sad/emotional)

When I am in need of a comfort book I tend to read Howl's Moving Castle, or one of the many Chrestomanci books. There is something very heart-warming about Diana Wynne Jones' books.

11. Begin Again

A book you've read multiple times but always go back to it because it's that good.

The Queen's Thief series and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

"Steal me peace."

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."


12. Starlight
(A book you hid in bed with/fell asleep reading)

I've fallen asleep reading plenty of times in my life, but some books that stand out in my mind for this, Half Magic, Edward Eager, The Masterful Monk, Owen Francis Dudley, Harry Potter, JK Rowling, and Mariel of Redwall, Brian Jacques. I don't remember which Harry Potter book. I think it was The Prisoner of Azkaban. Of those books, Half Magic is a big one. I remember waking up and finishing it later that night. The joys of a bookworm. 😊 Things like that happened to me fairly often actually.

13. I Know Places
The number one book you would take on a long trip away from home.

The Queen's Thief, or The Hobbit.

14.) Change
(A book you've never read but want and plan to)


This series. Dragonsong, Dragonsingers, Dragondrums. It sounds good and I'm slightly appalled that I've never read it.

This was fun! I think I'll do one for my TV shows/movies next! 8-D

I tag:


And anyone else who wants to give it a whirl! No worries if you can't do the tag either. Fufufu.




*swings around cape and leaps off stage*



Bella

5 comments:

  1. This is such a creative tag! (And I like your added questions, too.) It was fun to read about some of your favorite books and why you like them--and doing a tag for your favorite movies/shows sounds great!

    Ooh, I would take The Hobbit on a trip as well! Maybe because of the journey themes of the book. :-)


    And thanks for tagging me! *is excited!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I can hardly wait to read your tag!

      Delete
  2. Did the tag!--here's the link: https://www.christine-eyre-writer.com/2017/05/03/t-swift-book-tag/

    ReplyDelete

Oi, what are you.... Oh, you just want to comment? Then that's fine, please do! I love comments! but, um, I sort of stalk them.

Pile of good things

Pile of good things