Monday, December 5, 2016

Anime Character Challenge [ Day Two & Three ]







Since I know I will be busy as it get's closer to Christmas, I'm going to double up some of the days. I hope y'all don't mind.

The Character you never expected to Love:

Again, this is a toss-up between Scar from Fullmetal, and Break from Pandora Hearts. 

I'll do Break from Pandora Hearts, because as much as Scar grew on me, I think my attachment to Break is a little more unexpected.

"Don't concern yourself with what those tasteless idiots say."

When I first met Break Xerxes my initial reaction was, "Oh. That character." In almost every anime there is that one character who is really weird and annoying. They usually have a fetish with popsicles or candy, they make all sorts of strange, disturbing remarks, and they usually don't do much for the story. And yeah, Break was super weird. He seemed one card short of a full deck, if you know what I mean. He wasn't my favorite. I even remember thinking that I wouldn't care if he died. Boy was I wrong! Anime characters have a habit of sneaking up on you and making you like them before you realize it's happening. From one episode to the next you'll find yourself invested in a character's well-being. Like, I didn't think I really cared for Break at all, but then he was in danger. And I was like, "Waaaaaaaaait! I don't want him gone!"


"Perhaps you are weaker than I thought. But you're also stronger, much stronger than you realize." (Oz to Break)

Break has a sad back-story. He is eccentric, but he is cool and fascinating. He is strangely vulnerable, and I just love him. HE MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS!


The Character everyone loves that you don't.

That would be Olivier Armstrong, from Fullmetal. I don't know if everyone loves her, but she sure does have a strong fan-base. I am not a part of it.




Olivier is everything I hate in a 'strong' female character. She is the General of a great Fort called Briggs, which lies amid mountains, racked with snow and ice. This means she is a soldier, which I really wouldn't mind if she wasn't such a jerk about it. Olivier is hard, withdrawn, and practically emotionless. She looks down on men, unless they're her own, and she looks down on soldiers/fighters unless they're from Briggs, or unless she has trained them herself. Because obviously she is the only one who knows how to train properly, and obviously only her soldier's triumphs are valid. Obviously. *gag* She is also one of those obnoxious characters that think being merciful is weak. That having a soft, forgiving heart is weak. That being naive enough to trust and hope is childish, and anyone who acts like that is pathetic.

"I believe [he] may have witness some carnage in [his] time, but I can tell that on the inside [he] remains soft and weak."

Why is he weak? Because he hates killing? Because he cares about the well-being of others, even those on the opposite side of the war? Because he loves and hopes, and his heart keeps getting broken, but he does it anyway? What is so weak about a vulnerable, durable heart?

She thinks mourning the dead is pointless. - "We don't see any point of clinging in those who've died. We only know how to fight to keep more from dying." - She also thinks sparing the life of your enemy is stupid and weak. If you don't have the stomach to kill, you're a coward. If you choose mercy and peace over the fight, you are a waste. Olivier is cold and harsh, she didn't allow herself to show care or love, and she constantly insulted those whom she deemed 'unworthy' of her respect; even war-veterans and heroes that certainly deserved much better treatment.

Olivier does care for her men. That is a fact. But she rarely shows this. She also doesn't seem to know any emotions besides anger, suspicion, and spite. There were moments when you saw a slightly 'warmer' side to this vicious General. Like when she was practically killed and her brother saved her; or another time when a brilliant woman alchemist offered her help during the final battle against the enemy. But the overwhelming impression I got from Olivier is that she had left her femininity behind to be a soldier. She had become 'masculine,' as if the only way to be strong and respected was to act like a man. An emotionless man. I think that's a bad message. I much preferred Riza Hawkeye, who was a strong leader and fighter without losing her feminine qualities in the process.


Do any of you have that one character you can't stand?


*swings around cape and leaps off stage*



Bella

2 comments:

  1. Your explanation of why you didn't like Olivier was very articulate. And yeah, she sounds like the kind of character I would dislike, too. I also liked your argument that mercy, compassion, hope being different kinds of strength. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yar. I don't like obnoxious female character. 8-P

      Delete

Oi, what are you.... Oh, you just want to comment? Then that's fine, please do! I love comments! but, um, I sort of stalk them.

Pile of good things

Pile of good things