Saturday, July 16, 2016

I found some new things. Now I must share.


Thing One:

I binged on Avatar: The Last Airbender last week.


FRIENDLY MUSHROOM!


I'm almost finished with Season Three. And I'm a total fan. I'm not even ashamed.

There are five basic stages to becoming a fan of this show.

Stage One: Hmmm. This is kind of fun. But really dopey too.
Stage Two: Sokka is so funny!!!! And Katar is super cool. And Aang is really cute! And tough! These characters make me very happy. I think I even like Toph!
Stage Three: AAAAAAAAAH. What?? Why the cliffhangers??? I hate villains!! WHO NEEDS SLEEP? Sleep is for the weak!!
Stage Four: ZUUUUUKOOOOOOOO
Stage Five: WATER. EARTH. FIRE. AIR. *sings along to the theme*




This show is actually quite good. Is it dopey? Yes. Is it silly? Yes. Don't get me wrong. Avatar: TLA is definitely a kids show. It can be really silly and ridiculous. The animation is horrible. But if you are looking for comic relief, goofy story-telling, good characters, and a fun, interesting premises, Avatar is a good show to watch. The episodes are only like, fifteen to twenty minutes long, so it's really easy to binge on them.  Plus, there is some surprisingly good character development that goes on. (Zuuuuukoooooo)

Thing Two:

I'm sure you have all heard about Hamilton by now. It seems like it's the biggest thing since Les Miserables. I've held a lot of prejudice against this musical because A.) It's Rap and B.) It's the Founding Fathers. I have a problem with the Founding Fathers being turned black, especially George Washington. This isn't racism. This is historical fact. They were white. I also have a problem with the Founding Father's singing rap. And dancing to the rap. It seems a little ... disrespectful? However, I finally decided to give it a go. I shouldn't judge something until I know more about it, right? I sat down with a couple of my sisters and listened to the whole thing.

A Rap Musical

I didn't hate it.

But I don't know if I liked it. The music is very catchy. It's easy to sing along to, even the first time around, and after you listen to it once, you have all these lines from different songs that play in your head. The characters were fine. George Washington as a character was fine. I liked a lot of his lines, and how he put Hamilton in his place. He was fairly close to historically accurate, at least as close as you can get with a modern twist and rap involved. The story itself was also fairly accurate... again, as accurate as you can be with rap.

There were some songs I really liked. There were some lines that were pretty cool. For instance, there is one point where Hamilton says "I am just like my country, I'm young scrappy and hungry, and I'm not throwing away my shot!" I like that line a lot. It stuck with me fast.



I don't think I like the rap angle. The rhythm wasn't bad, the lyrics weren't bad, the characters and songs weren't bad. It was a decent sort of musical to listen to and I think if it had been anything but the Founding Father's, I would have been like - "Yaaay, Hamilton!" As it is I'm more like - "Hmmmm. Hamilton." I did enjoy listening to it. If you can get past the rap (which I'm not wild about anyway) the modern language, the mis-representation of the Founding Father's, and the fact that Hamilton is not that great of a person, it is fun. Aside from some awkward duologue/scenes, and language, it's also pretty clean. Sometimes you hear something and you're like "Well, that was inappropriate." But I don't think you actually see anything dirty. Maybe I'll even watch it at some point, but it will be a bit before I try that. I've seen gifs, and I don't like the dancing, or how the actors portray some things. (Did Washington just high-five Hamilton? What? ... What are they doing, the twist? No. Why?? Uh oh. Here's comes the swagger... no. Please.... Uhm, what is with Philip? Perve.) I think I will probably listen to it again, mostly because it's annoying to only know a handful of lyrics; but also because it is very catchy and it makes you want to listen to it more than once. I still maintain it was a bad call to turn historical men black just to show the America dream of everyone being equal. It's like turning Fredrick Douglas white. I don't think blacks would be very happy about that.


Thing Three:

I did find another musical though, and this one I really like. It's called The Light on the Piazza. It's about an Italian boy falling in love with a cute American tourist. It's super sweet. It has a good message about love being difficult but worth fighting for, and how important family is. It shows that everyone has flaws and you should never underestimate people just because they're different. The music is beautiful and the singers are amazing. Oh, and you get to hear Matthew Morrison sing in Italian!! What could be better?

Clara and Fabrizzio

As usual, I listened to the Original Cast first and it is pretty fabulous. Kelly O'hara has a beautiful voice. Her notes makes me happy. When she and Matthew Morrison sing together lovely things happen. They blend so well! Their love is precious. It's simple and innocent, and even though they fall for each other fast it doesn't seem silly. They get to know each other and their relationships develops in a gentle, natural way. I really liked how their love story saved other people's love also. It's like they inspired their families to not give up on marriage and that was a nice touch. And I love that after Clara meets Fabrizio she gets instructed in Catholicism, cause that makes the Catholic in me squeal. The Light on the Piazza is something all musical geeks should listen to it. It's beautiful, clean, classical, it sends a good message.... the only thing wrong with it is that in the first Act there is a kiss that goes a little too far. Like, it could become a scene if someone didn't walk in. Completely unnecessary. But other than that, it is fantastic!!!

Thing Four: 

I'm almost done with the Inkworld trilogy. That series is goooood. 8-D I think my favorite book will probably be Inkspell, but Inkdeath has been really well done too. I'm sort of afraid to finish it. I'm afraid of the ending.

DON'T KILL THE ANYONE. PLEASE.

The Last Thing: 

Before I sign off, I have a sort of announcement. My idea of Writers Camp seems to have attracted a lot of people. If I can get at least five other writers to officially sign on with this idea, I'm going to make it happen. It will probably start the first week in August sometime. I'm not sure how long it will last. Maybe a couple weeks? We can be super flexible with time and activities.  Basically, we're just going to take time and explore different writing styles and ideas, share some of our favorite authors and stories, discuss things that no one writes about even though they SHOULD be written about, and share ideas with motivation, the importance of writing, and how to get inspiration. There is plenty of time to juggle ideas, as well as which topics are Very Important and should be covered.

If you think Writers Camp is for you, leave a comment and tell me if you're officially in! Feel free to share this idea with other writers you know. The more the merrier.

Peace out y'all!!! God Bless!!


*swings around cape and leaps off stage*



Bella

12 comments:

  1. Matthew Morrison singing in Italian I am sold! Have you heard Finding Neverland it's simply exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. He is adorable in Finding Neverland!

      Delete
    2. Another FN fan!!! :D I totally agree! Silviya is my dream theatre role

      Delete
    3. THE SINGING IN MY HEART..... IS. ALL. THAT. MATTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRSSSSSSSSS!

      Delete
  2. YESSS INKWORLD. Inkdeath was probably my favorite, too - and aren't those covers GORGEOUS??

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THE BLACK PRINCE AND DUSTFINGER!!!! 8-D

      Delete
  3. But what IS writer's camp??

    And they're going to kill everyone. Don't worry. (I have no idea what you're tlaking about, by the way, so...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writer's camp is kind of like a blog party where we meet up and talk about writing.

      Delete
  4. Yay for your new discoveries! It's nice to find new music, TV shows, stories, etc. to enjoy.

    *applauds the Hamilton remarks* Quite frankly, I think a diverse race cast in a musical is interesting, something new and different--and the musical as is might have worked better if it was marketed as alternate history. But changing the background of the founding fathers is basically rewriting history--and we'd never hear the end of it if people wrote stories changing the racial background of African-American historical figures. Of course, I would not approve of that at all because that would also be rewriting history. But what drives me nuts is the double standard: yes, white people did terrible things to other races in the past--but discriminating against white people in the present isn't going to change or make up for that or fix any social problem, really. It just spreads blame and keeps people from taking responsibility themselves--whatever their racial backgrounds. *end rant*

    Okay, I am now interested in The Light on the Piazza. It sounds really good!

    *officially signs on to the Writers' Camp idea* :-) Sounds like you have a good, flexible schedule in mind, and a broad, but not too broad range of topics. The camp is an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think about Hamilton the more irritated I get.

      YAAAAAAAY!! Writers Camp!

      Delete
  5. *shrieks* HAMILTON. INKWORLD. YASSSssss. I honestly to goodness can't STAND rap, but somehow my brain went "no this is Broadway and a musical and it's amazing and LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA *more shrieking*" and ugh it's just so....different and catchy. I know what you mean how they took so many creative liberties with the Founding Fathers, but I prefer to see Hamilton as more of a parody (for lack of better words) than straight facts. It's really neat seeing the diversity though. I mean seriously, when was the last time the whole world went crazy over something with that much diversity? I can't even remember.

    And about Inkworld....MO. DUSTFINGER. FARID. MEGGIE. ALL THE OTHER PEOPLES WHO'S NAMES I FORGOT BECUASE IT'S BEEN SO LONG SINCE I READ THEM. GAH. They are precious cinnamon rolls. Have you seen the movie by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow this comment slipped though my radar. Yes! I've seen the movie of inkheart! Aht aren't there more??? :-(

      Delete

Oi, what are you.... Oh, you just want to comment? Then that's fine, please do! I love comments! but, um, I sort of stalk them.

Pile of good things

Pile of good things