Tuesday, February 9, 2016

We Had Fat Tuesday on Sunday

Lent starts the day after tomorrow, Ash Wednesday. The day before Lent is called Mardis Gras, or "Fat Tuesday." It is a day where everyone feasts and makes merry as a last hurrah before the Lenten season of fast and abstinence comes in. It originally started because in the days of the early Church, Christians would give up quite a bit of sweet foods, spices, condiments, and beverages, and they didn't want everything going bad just because they couldn't eat it. So they would have a big feast the day before Lent began to make use of as much food as they could. Catholic's give up different things now than they did then, and obviously it isn't as easy for things to go bad anymore; but the tradition stuck, and Catholics today still celebrate in much the same way.

This year I was with my brother for Fat Tuesday. He worked on Tuesday, so I had the bright idea of celebrating on Sunday when he was actually off and could enjoy it. He agreed. We bought a ton of food, we brought Tiny up for a visit, (My awesome sister) and we invited his fiance. Then we started the feast!




YEEEEEEES FOOD IS AWESOME.



See dat coffee cake in the corner? I made that. And it was fabulous.


My brother's beautiful fiance. *I am terrible at selfies.


SEE DEM SAUSAGE ROLLS? THEM SAUSAGE ROLLS MAKE-A ME CRAZY! TOO GOOD! GOOD FOOD!




BRO.


Tiny tried to photo-bomb, but her hair got in the way.



Lalala, my selfies suuuuuuuuuck.



Such hair. Wow curls.




Again with the horrid selfies.... anyway, we played dominoes! With my bro!!! In fact, he was the one who suggested it. Cause he is awesome and plays games like that. (Reason #404 Why My Brother is Better than Yours.) I've never done that. It was lots of fun! If I stared at the blocks too long the colours made my eyes cry a little, but otherwise it was great! *Tiny won.

To sum up the evening, we watched Captain America - the Winter Soldier. *cue flailing and feelings and fears*

Both Toink and Chloe had seen this before, but I don't think either of them remembered it very well. It was like Toink was watching it for the first time. Everything was so cool! or, that's rude! Like, when Cap fought his way out of the elevator and jumped out without dying, she was like;

"He's so cool, I want him."

She had a running commentary through the whole show, but I'll just give you the highlights.


*Cap throws his shield at Bucky*  Toink: "Wow. He can throw it so hard! How does he do that? Is he... awesome?

*Bucky shoots Black Widow*  Toink: "Why would he do that?? It's rude! He's rude!"

*Bucky attacks Steve* Chloe: "They're supposed to be friends! I hate this!"

*Sam gets his wings* Toink: "I love the wings guy, he is so cool. He can fly. How can he fly?"

*Bucky gets smacked: Toink: "WHY THAT GUY SMACK HIM? IT'S MEAN! Poor Bucky!" ...."Why is he in a chair? Why is he so sad?"

Chloe: "Why are they so mean to him?"

*Bucky knocks Sam out of the sky* Toink: "He took his wings! Now he's gonna die! That's rude! Why he... do that?"

*Bucky starts punching Steve* Toink: "HE SPANKED HIM IN THE FACE."

Me; I KNOW!

Toink: IT'S RUDE! POOR STEVE."

Toink: "WHY DOES HE KEEP SPANKING HIM ON THE FACE? It's rude! Does he remember him? Stop hitting him in the face, it's really, really rude!"


*Gasp* He shot him! Why he shot him? SO mean!"

.... "When is he gonna remember him???"

Chloe: "WHY hasn't Bucky remembered him yet? This is dumb!!

Toink: Why can't he remember?

Me; They took his memories and they put drugs in him so he would do what they said."

Toink: "That's. So. Rude! Why would they do that?"

Me: "So he could kill Captain America."

Toink: "They're so mean bad guys!"

.....

*The plane gets blown up*
Toink: "WHY DID THEY BLOW IT UP, I DON'T WANT HIM TO DIE, ITS STUPID!"

Chloe: "WHY hasn't Bucky remembered yet?? This is dumb."


They were both very into it... crying and stuff.

OOoooh, here's a bonus of their reaction when Bucky saves Cap.







Toink was kind of in shock... lol.






It was hilarious.

Anyway, that was my "Fat Tuesday." I hope this post wasn't too jumbled.

I AM GOING TO DISNEYLAND IN A WEEK YOU GUYS.

Peace out y'all!!!



*swings around cape and leaps off stage*




Bella

6 comments:

  1. Nope. Not hungry. Not in the slightest. None of that food looks good.

    HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU THINK IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO POST IMAGES OF SUCH DELICIOUS ITEMS???? Now I'm hungry........

    that film was pretty good - I like the first better, but I love the Forties, so... And Bucky..... I'm glad he's with Steve in the next film. At least for a little bit.

    And that's wonderful! Have fun! Don't get eaten by the exhibits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM HUNGRY TOO AND IT'S LENT SO HUSH.

      I just love anything to do with Steve Rogers. Cause. CAP.

      I'll do my best to not get eaten... thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh that coffee cake looks so good!!
    Also, I don't know how new the design is (since I've not been on here in a while oops), but it's fabulous!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My design is actually new! 8-) I'm trying to find something that feels more "Me" and even though it's pink, this look is definitely a better fit.

      Delete
  3. *looks at pictures of the food* Whoop, bad idea; now I'm hungry for coffee cake. :-)

    It sounds like you guys had a great time--and it was a good idea to celebrate on Sunday! (I'm terrible at selfies too. It's ridiculous.)

    Captain America 2 hurts to watch sometimes, but it is one of the best (well-written, well made) movies I've seen in a long time. I appreciate that the filmmakers didn't update Cap's character--didn't change his old-fashioned notions of good and evil.

    Bah, all my comments are choppy and random all of a sudden. Sorry. I have very few brain cells at the moment, but I did want to catch up on all your posts! *groggily drinks coffee*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I MISS FANGIRLING WITH YOU.

      How is life???

      CAAAAAAAAAAAP. BUCKYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *aggressively stresses about Civil War*

      I love hearing from you, even if it is choppy!

      Delete

Oi, what are you.... Oh, you just want to comment? Then that's fine, please do! I love comments! but, um, I sort of stalk them.

Pile of good things

Pile of good things