Wednesday, March 25, 2015

"I don't think there will be a return journey, Mr. Frodo."

Tolkien

Today, March 25th, is the day that The One Ring was destroyed and Sauron defeated. It also happens to be the day that the Angel Gabriel told Mary that she was to be the Mother of God. Which just goes to show you how amazing Tolkien really is. The evil of the Ring was destroyed on the same date that sin was conquered. HOW COOL IS THAT??? I am cooled out.

Anyhoosel, In honor of the Professor I spent the day reading The Lord of the Rings, and listening to the movie soundtrack and browsing LOTR videos so I could cry over them. Then I got busy and I made lembas bread, yep, actual lembas bread.  It turned out incredibly tasty and I was very pleased with my baking skills. They were better than my brownies 8-D

This is the recipe, translated into English as accurately as possible and highly effective. You know, in case anyone else wants to make it too;

 
 
6 TBSP butter or margarine, slightly softened
2 cups self-rising flour
1 TBSP granulated sugar
½ cup raisins (optional)
1 egg, well beaten
½ cup milk
4 TBSP heavy cream
Mallorn leaves

     With a pastry blender of fork, cut margarine into the flour in a mixing bowl until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Do this rapidly so the butter does not melt. Add the sugar and if desired, ½ cup of raisins. In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk together until mixed. Reserve 1 TBSP of this mixture to brush the tops of the Lembas. Add the cream and egg mixture to the flour and mix just until combined into a stiff, soft dough. Knead three or four times on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to a ¾" thickness and cut with an oval or leaf shaped cookie cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving 1" of space between Lembas. Brush the tops of the Lembas with the reserved egg-milk mixture. Bake for 12 -13 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven.

       For safe keeping, wrap each Lembas individually in a fresh, clean Mallorn leaf. If these leaves are unavailable in your area, store the Lembas in a tightly closed container. Makes about 1 ½ dozen Lembas.
 
This recipe was found at the courtesy of Middle Earth Recipes! It is a fabulous sight with lots of fun Tolkien-ish food on it. So go check it out 8-)


Anyway, I figured today is as good as any to drop by and do a little TOLKEIN RAVING, so I decided to do a tag that I've been saving for a couple of weeks. Because I was tagged!!!!


Le Rules.
 

-Link back to the blogger who nominated you - ( MELODY! )
-Answer questions 

-Tag some of your own fellow Tolkienknights!


1. How were you first introduced to LotR/TH and was it love at first sight/read?

I grew up on Lord of the Rings, so I'm not sure when I was first introduced to it. I first read the Hobbit when I was ten or eleven and I feel in love with Bilbo. I also loved Fili and Kili (Cause Brothers.) but I also really liked Dori and Balin, since both those dwarves seem to be especially concerned with keeping their little Burglar safe. I seem to recall that Dori especially was always pulling Bilbo off some cliff or out of some tunnel.

I liked Dori for that.

2. If you could meet the actors who portray the characters in the movies, would you?

Of course I would like to meet the actors! That would be so much fun! I would prefer to meet the actors from the LOTR trilogy though, especially Sean Bean.


3. What is your favorite credit song from LotR/TH?

Into the West, at the end of the Return of the King. That song breaks me heart and makes me cry and it is beauti-ous


Grey ships pass


4. The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit - which is your favorite? *evil laugh* (And no, you don't actually have to decide. I'm merciful like that. *magnanimous smile*)

LOTR, hands down. I'm sorry guys. The Hobbit was not as good as I was hoping it would be, and that makes me sad.


5. Who is your favorite all-around character?

I hate choosing a favorite. It is a hard, hard task for me. I feel like I'm betraying the other characters and making them feel unloved when I do that. But .... the character who holds a special place in my heart is Faramir. I love Faramir. (that being said I think they are all brilliant!)

6. What is your opinion on Boromir?

 Ah, Boromir. Yes. I love him. He was noble and strong and brave. He was protective and caring and everything a big brother (and a captain) should be. He was a good man and I will always hate that he died. *I am going to do a post about him soon. stay alert.

7. How many times have you watched the movies/read the books?

*blank look* I don't remember?

I have read the books a few times, I think four or five,  but the LOTR movies I've only seen about three times. We watch them once every couple of years, so I don't have a huge number 8-) Each of the Hobbit movies I've only seen once, and I've yet to see BOFA.

8. What book is your favorite?

For the books, I really love The Two Towers. The Return of the King is beautiful and magnificent there is no denying that, but the Two Towers is my favorite book. However, my favorite movie is The Return of the King.

9. Who is your favorite female character (other than your answer to question #5)?

 I love Eowyn. So much. I like that she was brave and clever but she wasn't annoying, and I admired the fierce love she had for her country. She was cool and sweet and I am glad she found happiness.

10. Who is your favorite male character (other than your answer to question #5)?

Probably Merry. I really love Merry. (I REALLY HATE CHOOSING FAVORITES YOU GUYS! THEY ARE ALL SO EPIC!!!)

11. Which of the movies, in your opinion, has the best ending?

The Return of the King. That ending makes me cry so hard. Good has finally triumphed. The Shire is safe and happy. Middle Earth has been pulled from destruction. Sam gets married, Faramir finds Eowyn, Aragon is made King and gets Arwen for his beautiful Queen, and Frodo is able to find peace (even though he has to travel across the sea to get it. and we all cry cause HOW COULD HE LEAVE???)  It was perfectly done and it will always be my favorite ending.


There! I tag:

Jack

Anna

Natasha



That is all for now. Happy Tolkien Day all you all! I should be back soon with an explanation for my long absence.  For now though, to bed!

PEACE OUT Y'ALL!!!!

 
 
*slides off car*
 
 
 
Bella

3 comments:

  1. Happy (Late) Tolkien Day! Your answers were all fun. I agree about picking favorites. It's HARD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came about this late but I just have to agree on Boromir so hard. Thank you for caring about him when the rest of the world doesn't. XD

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! No problem!! I love Borimir and I have started a defense post on him. I always like meeting fellow Tolkien fans! Thanks for stopping by 8-)

      Delete

Oi, what are you.... Oh, you just want to comment? Then that's fine, please do! I love comments! but, um, I sort of stalk them.

Pile of good things

Pile of good things