Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Live Long, and Prosper

I bet a lot of you have already heard about this. I don't know why it took so long for this news to come around to me, but it did. and the news made me very sad. Leonard Nimoy passed away on February 27th.



Maybe this shouldn't have upset me as much as it did, but I feel like crying or throwing shoes and I can't seem to do either because I am too sad.

one of the few times we see Spock smile

Spock was a huge part of my life growing up. My dad used to always watch Star Trek in the evenings so I spent a lot of time on the enterprise with Kirk and his crew, getting excited and a little geeky over all the planets and aliens and the adorable noisy little ship. It was essentially my first fandom. I vividly remember loving the dynamic between Spock and Kirk and Bones, but especially Spock and Kirk. (I still like this dynamic) They were funny and protective of each other and I loved watching them tease and look after each other. I loved how, even though Spock had been taught to hide his emotions sometimes you still saw them sneaking out. I could understand why he would be your best friend, because under his 'logic' he was funny and smart and kind of lippy. He was also a bit of of a rebel and I liked that about him. He and Kirk were both rebels and together they were the recipe for chaos. I LOVED that. I used to run around as Captain James T Kirk with a trustee  studfinder Tricorder and flip-phone Communicator, exploring distant planets far from home, and Spock was always at my side. He used to get me out of the worst sorts of trouble, that Spock. He was my best friend. My second in command. He made me smile when no one else could, which is a rare trait in a Vulcan. I looked forward to curling up on the couch and watching Kirk and Spock save the day. It was something I could always count on: they would always win, no matter what.

remember this


Spock and Kirk were the first friendship I cried over. I was eight years old. Spock was dying and Kirk couldn't get to him. And Spock tells Kirk that "he is and always will be his friend" and then he died. And it hurt. I was very upset. You don't kill Spock! He is a Vulcan! He can survive a little radiation.

It's kind of weird. I feel like I've lost a friend. I want to do a Star Trek marathon and where a blue Spock-like shirt and drink water out of an odd grace and do a toast to the Second-in-Command.

I feel like watching that episode where Kirk and Spock are gangster and go around talking all Mob-Boss like.



But it is Lent. So I can't.

Maybe I'll do a marathon after Easter.

I JUST MISS SPOCK OKAY??

I am sad.

But I have to practice some songs for Easter Mass, so I must bid you all farewell now. Thank you Spock, for all the happy, happy memories. They meant a lot to a lot of people. especially me.





*transports off ship*



Bella

2 comments:

Oi, what are you.... Oh, you just want to comment? Then that's fine, please do! I love comments! but, um, I sort of stalk them.

Pile of good things

Pile of good things