Saturday, December 21, 2013

The House of Hades Book Review

Here I am with a book review! I'll make this as spoiler-free as possible, so read away it should be pretty safe. *Deep Breath* this isn't going to be easy....

! Review Time !
I hate to say it, but I was a bit disappointed with the House of Hades. I was definitely expecting more from the newest book in The Heroes of Olympus series and what I got? Well, lets just say it wasn't what I was expecting.

Alright.

I have found yet another author I am unable to trust. I'm really upset too, because until this book I could recommend Rick Riordan in a heartbeat and feel completely confident that he would not let me down. Now I'm not sure anymore. Worst of all, what he did was unnecessary and uncalled for. And it all happened because of one hateful character, Nico Di Angelo.

I've never liked Nico, he's always creeped me out, I didn't trust him and I didn't want him around. But I could tolerate him. Now I can't even do that, because Rick Riordan did something unexpected and horrible. He made Nico queer. He likes another boy. Really, really likes him. That immediately turned me off and made me furious. It wasn't needed, it was just a throw-in plot twist with absolutely no link to the rest of the story and no reason to be there. We just needed somewhere to be queer, so Nico was made queer. It wasn't even realistic because Nico is from another time, the 1940's to be exact, and he wouldn't have been like that. Ever. Luckily, his feelings are one-sided but the fact that he has those feelings at all makes me sick and angry. It also drags down the book which otherwise would have been one of his better works. The rest of the characters are quite brilliant, and Percy is still one of my favorite fictional book characters. The plot-twists and interweaving of the different stories, the adventure and stakes, its all handled very well and has you biting your nails and holding your breath. He portrays friendship and family well, and his love stories are some of the best I've read. Well.... when someone doesn't go Queer on you. *scowl* I'm just.... I'm really upset the story took that turn. I mean, I read it and felt.... terrible.


Even without the 'Nico' thing, the story was rather weak. It felt kind of like The Mark of Athena. A lot happened but nothing got done. We had a lot of running and planning but it never seemed to go anywhere. We were introduced to some new characters but our immediate problem wasn't really solved. The Tartarus angle was very good and I actually had to close the book at one point and take a break because Percy and Annabeth's story was making me so nervous. The 'side-characters' (haha) stories also drew you in and made you want to read more, especially Leo's, who is my favorite character besides Percy. Leo is so.... Leo! he makes me incredibly happy and you always love to read about him. He's nerdy. He's awkward and doesn't quite fit in. He always feels like the odd-one-out and never sees how much he is needed by the rest of the team. He's just the mechanic, he does his job, that's it. he's nothing special. Or at least that what he thinks. He's something much more than a mere mechanic, there's a lot of strength in Leo. I have had the most fun reading Percy's and Leo's character ark, they've been the best. The thing is, I now have an idea of how Leo is going to end. And it makes me want to cry and scream and pelt Rick Riordan with shoes. I already want to hit him with shoes for Nico, but if he does anything to Leo....

 
All in all The House of Hades was not the best book I've read all winter - it isn't even the best book I've read all year. It has some brilliant moments and a few great chapters but when I finished it I felt a bit unsatisfying and let down. I think I was expecting too much out of it and therefore I didn't like it as much as I might have. For those of you who know what's coming, you may like it more. It is a good story and I did enjoy it - I did. Just be prepared for a weaker book and try not to dwell on the fact that Nico is Queer. That is the big reason I was so upset, Nico was a real shock and he kind of tainted the rest of my reading.

So that's that. I'll be back as soon as possible with a nicer
 post, but until then, I bid all of you a fond farewell.
 
*KEVINLIVES!*
 
God Bless!
~Bella

2 comments:

  1. That makes me mad. I was hoping it was all some fan thing. But how could he do that to us? I've always thought of Nico as like Percy's little brother. And it was cute in a way, the way Percy looked after him and I always read it in that Nico thought of Percy as a brother. And now Rick wants us to think...That 8-P I refuse to. I'm not even sure I want to read it anymore, and I'm considering giving up on this series and going back to the orginial one. (My only problem with this is saying good bye to Leo whom I've fallen in love with. Because he is Leo. But, like you, I have a bad feeling of what happens to him. Rick said someone dies....and everyone else of the seven has a girl. The writer side of me thinks it is going to be Percy because it is set up for that, but the fan in me thinks it will be Leo. Either way, it is all bad. Can we have Nico be the one even though he's not of the seven.) I can't believe he did that in a kids book though.

    Yeah, still can't think about it without fuming.

    What do you think? Will you finish out the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'm going to stop reading them, because - like you - I'm an enormous Leo fan and in "The House of Hades" something happens that I really loved - he uh,.... *Spoiler* He meets someone :) :) :) and she is perfect!! *End Spoiler*

      So I'll probably keep reading, if just for Leo and Percy, but I will hate Nico forevermore. I hope HE dies. that would be nice. It was just.... it was unneeded. Like you, I always thought of Nico as Percy's little brother and then Rick Riordan had to go and RUIN him like that. Its really horrible. Nothing happens, there isn't any big THING its just talked about a couple times. And every time its brought up I got angry. You could still read it, it was pretty good, just disappointing.

      are you gonna watch the Christmas Special?? it looks like the Ponds might come back... :')

      Delete

Oi, what are you.... Oh, you just want to comment? Then that's fine, please do! I love comments! but, um, I sort of stalk them.

Pile of good things

Pile of good things